ATP Zhuhai & Chengdu Preview: Khachanov in finals for the first time since 2022, Zverev in Safiullin’s way for the maiden title

Karen Khachanov will face Yoshihito Nishioka, Alex Zverev will take on Roman Safiullin in the title deciders.

This Tuesday is surely going to be an exiting one for tennis fans, as the players will take the courts for the titles in Chinese Zhuhai and Chengdu ATP 250 tournaments. Karen Khachanov will play the title decider for the first time since 2022 with Yoshihito Nishioka in his way, while Roman Safiullin will face Alex Zverev in attempt to win his maiden title.

Khachanov vs Nishioka: A clash of styles

ATP Zhuhai & Chengdu Preview: Khachanov in finals for the first time since 2022, Zverev in Safiullin's way for the maiden title
Karen Khachanov and Yoshihito Nishioka

Karen Khachanov has reached his first final since January, 2022, when he lost to Gael Monfils in Adelaide. This is only his third tournament after skipping the whole grass season due to an injury. The Russian has had an impressive run this season, reaching the semifinals at the Australian Open and the quarterfinals at Roland Garros. The Russian has shown his power and consistency in Zhuhai, taking out Alex Bolt, Mckenzie Mcdonald and Sebastian Korda en route to final.

Khachanov is currently ranked No. 15 and is looking for the opportunity to jump back in the top 10.

Khachanov will face a different challenge in the final, as he will meet Yoshihito Nishioka, a speedy and crafty left-hander from Japan. Nishioka has achieved his best result of the season in Zhuhai, surpassing his previous personal best of reaching the fourth round of Roland Garros, where he lost to Tomas Martin Etcheverry.

Khachanov leads the head-to-head with Nishioka with a 3-1 score. He won their last meeting, which happened in the third round of this year’s Australian Open (6:0, 6:0, 7:6).

The final will be a clash of styles, as Khachanov will try to impose his power and serve, while Nishioka will rely on his speed and defense. Both players will be eager to claim their first title of the season and boost their confidence for the rest of the year.

Our prediction

Based on the available data analysis, the most likely outcome of the match is a Khachanov win with a probability of 62.70%. A win for Yoshihito Nishioka has a probability of 37.30%.

Who will win?
Karen Khachanov
50%
Yoshihito Nishioka
50%
Voted: 2

Zverev vs Safiullin: a milestone seekers

ATP Zhuhai & Chengdu Preview: Khachanov in finals for the first time since 2022, Zverev in Safiullin's way for the maiden title
Roman Safiullin and Alexander Zverev

Alexander Zverev has made an impressive comeback after missing almost a year due to a knee injury he suffered at last year’s Roland Garros. The German returned to action in January this year and has been steadily regaining his form and ranking. This season, he managed to defend his last year’s result in Paris, reaching the quarterfinals, and then to win a title at the clay tournament in Hamburg. Alex has been dominant on his way to the Chengdu final. He defeated Pavel Kotov, Miomir Kecmanovic and an in-form Grigor Dimitrov to reach the title decider.

Zverev is currently ranked No. 10 in the world. He compleed a triumphant comeback to the elite after dropping out of the top-30

Zverev will face a rising star in the final, as he will meet Roman Safiullin, a 26-year-old from Russia. Safiullin is considered one of the nominees for the “Breakthrough of the Year” award this season. He reached his first ever Grand Slam quarterfinals at this year’s Wimbledon, where he lost to Jannik Sinner.

In Chengdu, Roman collected his third career win over a top-20 opponent after beating Lorenzo Musetti in the semifinals. This is his first ever final at the ATP level.

The players have only met once throughout their careers. At the Roland Garros-2021, Zverev’s beaten Safiullin with a score 7:6, 6:3, 7:6.

Our prediction

Based on the available data analysis, Zverev will win with a probability of 74.63%. A win for Roman Safiullin has a probability of 25.37%.

Who will win?
Alexander Zverev
100%
Roman Safiullin
0%
Voted: 2
Knights Antony/ author of the article
Habra Sports Journal